Thursday, December 22, 2005

New UUA Logo takes us back fifty years

Greetings --

I just read the email from the Unitarian Universalist Association announcing the new UUA "standard" flaming chalice logo. After taking a look, and another look, and another look at it I have to say that I still think it's an ugly, old fashioned, and unfortunate choice.

Here's a copy of the email I recently sent to the UUA expressing my feelings.



Hi folks --

Please pass this email along to the appropriate people.

I have to say that I'm quite saddened by the new UUA logo.

It would be great if we were a bank or an investment house
fifty years ago, but it is so far from feeling contemporary,
original, or lively that it's depressing for me to contemplate
having to use it in our newsletter or other publications.
Please take a look at the images below to see what I mean.

You started with a classic and powerful design featuring two
circles and a chalice and managed to change it into a poorly
rendered glowing cross.

I certainly hope the many of the more elegant, original, and
striking chalice designs continue to be used across the
association and further hope that the new uninspired and
uninspiring design meets an early end.

My apologies for the negative tone of this email, but it's very
frustrating to see us shoot ourselves in the foot regarding our
new logo when the opportunities for us to leverage publicity
about our association are so great.

Sincerely -- Dave Schroeder, long-time U.U.




5 Comments:

Blogger Cogit8tor said...

By the way, Fidelity Investments is headquartered only six blocks away from the UUA's Beacon Street HQ.

10:02 PM  
Blogger indrax said...

Shouldn't the UU version read "Infidelity Investments"? ;-)

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something about the design I don't like; perhaps it is too symmetrical for a religious movement of folks sometimes off the beaten track. I think your letter to the UUA was polite. Did you get a response?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Cogit8tor said...

Yes, I got a polite "Thank you for your comment and we will pass it along to the appropriate people" non-response. It was good to see similar comments in UU-World however. Thanks -- Dave

9:48 AM  
Anonymous plundquist said...

Great idea to have a logo we can't draw, especially the kids. Indeed we have shot ourselves in the foot. Again.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home